In 1945 the Soviet military administration established a prison camp in a former canteen-kitchen of the NS-regime in Berlin Hohenschönhausen . Later the site became the central remand prison in the Soviet occupation zone. Since 1951 the facility was converted to the central detention center of the Ministry of State Security. Its purpose didn’t change: to optain confessions and eliminate any real or suspected resistance through systematic personality destruction. Initially, this was achieved by physical, later increasingly by psychological torture.